Tooth Extractions in Panorama City
A dental extraction is the procedure to remove a tooth from your mouth. It is most commonly required if one of your teeth is damaged beyond practical repair. The most common reasons for tooth extractions include:
- Severe tooth decay or infection may make it impossible or too costly to repair a tooth
- Advanced gum disease may require a tooth to be pulled so it doesn’t affect the supporting tissues and bone structures of your mouth
- A tooth may be extracted if it is blocking other teeth from coming in
- During orthodontic work, teeth may need to be extracted to create room for the teeth that are being moved into place
- Wisdom teeth are often extracted either before or after they come in
What to expect
Your dentist will first administer anesthetic to numb the area and reduce discomfort. During the extraction, you will feel the pressure of the tooth being removed. This is normal and is simply a result of the process of firmly rocking your tooth back and forth in order to loosen the socket for a smooth removal.
You should not feel any pain. If at any time during the extraction process you do feel pain, make sure you let us know.. Typically, the dentist is able to remove your tooth within a matter of minutes.
Immediately after the tooth extraction, a small amount of bleeding is normal and a patch of gauze will be placed in the affected area. The area may bleed minimally for the next 24 hours or so and taper off after that. Follow your dentist’s instructions on how often to change the gauze, and any other post-procedure steps to follow.
The removal of a tooth can create problems including difficulty chewing, shifting teeth, and issues with your jaw joint. To avoid these problems, your dentist will discuss restorative replacements such as bridges, dental implants, or partial dentures.
At Parthenia Family Dental, we do everything possible to save your teeth and consider tooth extraction to be a last resort. When necessary, it can be done quickly and without pain.
If your tooth needs to be removed and you live in North Hollywood, Panorama City, Van Nuys, Pacoima, Valley Glen, or the San Fernando Valley, contact us to get the procedure done as soon as possible. Your comfort and satisfaction with your dental work is our first priority.